Sunday 5 February 2012

REVIEW - Ignition by Ezra Linehan-Clodfelter

Title: Ignition 
Author: Ezra L.C.
Series: Ignition Trilogy #1
Release date: January 24th 2012
Genres: YA Paranormal Romance
Links: Goodreads / Amazon
Source: Bought ebook

Summary: 
The last half of your senior year of high school is supposed to be easy. Jes Anderson was looking forward to a relaxing final semester, followed by a lazy summer before heading off to college. Instead, she's been having nightmares of fire and brimstone, while her best friend Amanda is harassing her to find a boyfriend. As if that weren't annoying enough, a group of students from a rival town is temporarily transferred to Jes' high school. Despite herself, she can't help but take an interest in Seth Thomas. Jes can tell there is something unusual about him. But what exactly? He's handsome and charming on the surface but Jes can't quite figure out if she likes him or hates his guts. And he seems to be hiding something. So much for an easy semester.


4/5

I really enjoyed this book. It was a fun and exciting read that had me laughing out loud on more than one occasion.

I loved Jes. She was so funny and sarcastic and I could easily imagine myself becoming friends with her. Nearly everything she said had me bursting out laughing. She was hilarious! The one thing that I didn't like about her was how she started crying at the slightest thing. Don't get me wrong, she is one tough chick but she was a bit too emotional at times. Another thing that annoyed me was how easily she forgave her friend Amanda when she started going out with a boy she knew Jes liked. I though that was a pretty bitchy thing for a best friend to do and if I was Jes I would have been a bit more angry with Amanda.

I also really liked Seth. He was funny and dorky and seemed more real than the usual dark and brooding types that most YA books feature. He was a great love interest as you could easily imagine meeting someone like him in real life. Lily was also a great character. She was spunky and feisty and some of the things she said were just brilliant. Towards the end of the story though I started to feel so sorry for her as I learned more about the things she has faced.

The story itself was interesting. Nothing much happened in the beginning but things soon picked up about half way in. The paranormal aspect of the book really held my interest. I haven't read any books centered around these creatures. I was actually surprised when I found out what they were so that piqued my interest more. The romance was so much more believable than other books. There was none of the instant love that is in about 90% of YA books. I loved that about this book. I am a big romantic but there are only so many instant-love stories that I can read before it gets dull. A thing that was never explained though was the dreams that Jes was having of the fire and brimstone. I have a theory but hopefully things will be explained in book 2.

Overall a great edgy read with witty characters, snappy dialogue and some great action scenes. There is something for everyone in this book.

*Content: There is a lot of strong language used so for that reason I would recommend this to older teens.*


Teaser:
There were so many scenes where I was nearly crying with laughter but here is one of my favorites:

"'Sup playa?" Lily answered.
Jes didn't miss a beat. "Sorry, I thought I was calling my friend Lily. She's super white, so she's not really allowed to say things like that. Maybe you know her? Dresses kinda skanky but only because she probably has daddy issues?"
Lily chuckled. "Ouch! You're mean today. I kinda like it..." 




No comments :

Post a Comment

We love hearing what you guys have to say so why not leave us a comment :) Thanks for stopping by!